Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Decorating Journals

FSA stands for Families Supporting Adoption. There is an FSA group in Dallas, Houston and one for the San Antonio - Austin areas. Our social worker asked me if I would be the FSA leader for the San Antonio - Austin area and put together activities, get togethers, etc. I think about every 4 months.

Since November is National Adoption Month my social worker asked that I have the group do some type of service activity that could benefit a birth mom.

I instantly thought of journals and decorating them. I know going through this whole process I have kept a journal and some very personable experiences I have had, thoughts, etc. From the time we started IVF until now, I have kept this journal and recorded my thoughts so that someday I can show my sons / daughters just exactly what I was feeling, how sad I was at times, but how happy. I hope this will make our kids realize just how much we love them and what parents are willing to go through for their kids (before they are even born!).

So, we are decorating journals to give to the birth moms. They can record their thoughts and feelings, use it to save photos of the baby when the baby is first born, whatever they want to use it for. It sounds like a depressing kind of journal to keep, but once they have moved on and hopefully turned their life around, been married in the temple, etc they can look back and realize that it was all worth it and they made the right choice.

I did a sample last night of a journal. I am not artsy-fartsy like more than half the LDS Women population, but I think it turned out pretty cute. I wrapped the spine with ribbon and left an overhang so it can be used as a bookmark. There is a key charm for decoration and a little diamond push pin and then yarn wrapped around that to keep the journal closed. I think they will all turn out really cute!

7 comments:

Beth and Brittany said...

It is very cute! You did a great job. I am making a journal/ scrapbook kinda like this for my friends baby shower. I just went to michaels today!

Every though we have never met I have to say that I very much look up to you. I don't know if I would have the strength to go through the whole process you and Ty are going through. Im pretty sure that I would have given up by now. Your posts and comments inspire me to be a better mother and to Cherish each and every second I have with Logan. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

what a cute idea! i might do those with my primary girls...11 year olds like stuff like that, right? And you are DEFINITELY creative!!

Jodi said...

I think this is a great idea. I'm sure you could get a million ladies to help out at scrap night this Friday. You should email Mindy and Maren to see if they want to help out. They are great with that stuff.

Cute, cute idea!

Walter and Lynsi Hohmann said...

What a cute idea! That's awesome! You don't think you're artsy fartsy, but I would have never thought of that and it turned out great!! BTW, your Vera Bradley diaper bag is awesome! I am definitely going to have a Very Bradley diaper bag when we have kids! :)

The Tenney's said...

so cute! thats neat that they picked you to do this, you are so awesome!

Jennie said...

Michelle, first off, that is a very cute idea and you are quite talented! I love it. And I think that the birth moms will love it! I think they will be touched by the gift and it will provide an outlet for the many different emotions during this time in their life. Once again you are not only talented, but thoughtful and kind as well! We miss you!

Bridget said...

I love your idea. And the journal is super cute. Are you coming to scrapnight? If you need any help, let me know. I have tons of 12x12 paper laying around that I never use and could bring.