This week has been so surreal. Its really hard to try and explain just how grateful we are and overcome we are with love and joy.
I got up Tuesday feeling really sad. I was having a moment / day where I felt my patience starting to wear off. I told Tyler that I had had enough and I just wanted this to be over. I even thought to myself to try and not want a baby so bad, then the wait won't be so hard. But as hard as I tried to not want a baby, I wanted one even more. I hope that makes sense. I think we all try to talk ourselves into things or tell ourselves its not that big of a deal, or just keep waiting, etc. Anyways, I went on my lunch break on Tuesday. The ironic thing is is that I wanted to be alone during my lunch break and not go with any friends. I was in the car driving to a park near by my office. I was going to sit alone and just think. My phone rang at 11:30 and it was my social worker. I thought she was calling about something completely different. She has never called me before, so I should have instantly thought "this is going to be good!" She asked how I was doing. I said okay. She asked "are you ready to be a mom?" I said.. "um yeah." And then started crying so hard I could barely talk. She told me a birth mom had a baby Sunday and she had picked us for adoption. I couldn't believe it.
I didn't go back to work. I drove straight home. I called Tyler and he was going to meet me at home and we were going to make the drive to the Houston area. I was frantically getting the carseat, dipaer bag, our luggage put together, and trying to breathe at the same time.
We are staying at my sister's house. I didn't sleep much Tuesday night. I finally fell asleep at 2:30 and woke up at 4:30. Wednesday we met the social worker at the hospital at noon. I was so nervous, I seriously thought I was going to throw up. We were in the waiting room waiting for the social worker to get there. As soon as he got there, all my nerves went away. I don't know why, because nothing was official at this time. He talked with us and then went up to talk with the birth mom for an hour. He came back down and said she was excited to meet Tyler and I. The social worker took us upstairs and as soon as we walked into the room, it was so comfortable. Everything just felt right. The birth mom had her sister with her. They hugged us both. The birth mom expressed to us how she had been looking at profiles and nobody felt right. She saw our profile and we just felt right. Her and her sister both told us that even seeing us in person reassures them that we have it together and our a great couple. It's amazing that new that by just seeing us, we hadn't really had a chance to visit yet. We talked and we gave the birth mom a gift. It's a heart shaped necklace with two hearts linked together. I told her the reason we got this for her was because our hearts would be forever linked and we all share love for this baby. She started to cry and told me I was so generous. When she said that, I thought "what an awesome girl". Here she is placing her child with Tyler and I and making a sacrifice, and here she calls me generous.
We left the room and just like that the papers were signed. We couldn't believe it, everything went so smoothly. We went into the NICU to see Taylor and I of course cried. I think that is a given. Two nurses stood back and were just watching us. All I could do was grab her hand and cry. We were going to name her Kate, but she looks like a Taylor to us.
The birth mom delivered at 33 weeks, the hospital likes to keep babies until they would have delivered at 35 to 36 weeks. So we are here at least through this next week. Taylor's dr told me he doesn't like to pull babies off of things fast, you have to do it slowly. The big tube down her nose is gone, and the tube down her throat is gone. Today they are starting her on formula, which is great! She has just been on vitamins and calories through an iv.
We haven't been able to hold her yet. Yesterday we were there when they took the tube out of her nose. She was crying and I so badly wanted to hold her to calm her down. It was kind of nice that I was still able to comfort her but rubbing her head and give her a pacifier.
Taylor has already taught me so much...and that is what true unconditional love is.
That is all for now.... I think I got everything. Probably not. But that is a good start pointing!
Friday, March 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



23 comments:
I still can't get over how amazing your story is. It is still making me smile!! I thought it was ironic that in your previous post you mentioned that you were ready for someone to say "come pick up your baby." YAY!!! Let us know when you guys get back to the house!
So sweet. Thanks for sharing! She must have been so ready to meet you all too! And her name is adorable! Can't wait for you to bring her home!
Michelle, you are so amazing and inspiring. We can't wait to meet her. She is absolutely adorable.
It is truly amazing to me how the Lord is in every detail of our lives. This mom wasn't even L.D.S. and a nurse at the hospital where the birth mom delivered was.......I get chills when I talk to you, or your mom, and reading your story!! Welcome Taylor you've been blessed to have great parents!!! Love you all
I'm sooo sooo happy for you two! Your post made me cry because I can truly see how much you have desired to have a baby and now it has finally came true. Congrats!
that is so amazing! i am so incredibly excited for you guys!! I feel like such a jerk for being so impatient now through my pregnancy and you have waited SO long for your little girl!! How amazing :) Congrats again and I can't wait to hear more about her and see more cute pictures :)
I am SOOO excited for you and Tyler! You are going to make the best parents. Taylor is so lucky to have a great mom like you! We have a baby shower to start planning... let us know when you want it!
Well you KNOW I'm THRILLED for you guys!! I love being able to watch from this side and seeing you and Tyler become parents. Thank you for letting me be apart of all this.
I needed a good happy cry. Thanks for that. I can't even explain how happy I am for you - what a miracle!! Can't wait to see more pics . . . and hear as many mommy adventures as you care to share!!
Thank you for sharing your wonderful story with us. It brought tears to my eyes. I felt like a complete baby, but it was so Beautiful!!! Congratulations again!!! I am excited for when little Taylor can come home!
michelle, i cried when i saw you became a mom. i'm just so excited for you, she is such a beautiful little girl. I cant wait for you to be able to take her home! words cannot describe the feelings. thank you so much for the story. your a beautiful little mommy!
Adoption is such a beautiful thing. It has blessed my life and now it is your turn. Your story is a testimony that the Lord hears your prayers and helps us get thru the waiting. Keep sharing your story for your miracle will help others who are waiting. Enjoy, you are prepared! Let us know when you come to Grandma's house, Kendall and I would love to see your sweet Taylor.
So exciting! That is such a special story. I am very excited for you guys. :)
Taylor is so beautiful! I can't wait to meet her! Words can't express how thrilled I am for you guys! You are going to be the best parents ever. I love you! Congratulations mommy!! :)
Congrats, thanks for sharing your amazing story.
So beautiful! you need to turn this blog into a memory book so Taylor can read it when she is old and know just how much she is loved and wanted.
Soak it all up and write it all down.
We love you guys!
Michelle--I'm so happy for you and your husband! Taylor is beautiful and you are going to make great parents!
Congratulations Mommy! Thanks for sharing your story.
Thank you for sharing your story. Your wonderful journey has begun and i know you and Tyler will be wonderful parents to your precious daughter Taylor. We are so happy the Lord has sent you this bundle of joy1!
I am so thrilled for you and your husband...I couldn't help but come to tears as I read the story. Blessings come to us when we least expect them but are ready to receive them. Enjoy yours! =)
Reading this reminded me how much children bless our lives. She will bring so much joy to your family. Taylor is one lucky girl to have such a loving and caring mommy. Keep us posted on your adventures in motherhood. Congratulations.
We are so excited for you. I loved looking through your blog and seeing all the diapers, bottles, diaper bags and things you had accumulated. I can't imagine how hard it had to be to wait, but nice to be able to be prepared. Your family is so beautiful and this will be an amazing journey. I get teary whenever i think about you guys... maybe it's the pregnancy - but i just know how lucky Taylor is to go to a family with so much love! =)
Oh my goodness what an amazing experience to go through! I am so happy for you guys.
Post a Comment